Friday, May 9, 2014

Dead

E.D. she shows her real face, 2008, acrylic, canvas, 34x48

You are a subject of my art

Subject is alive, autonomous, greater than I can capture, a thing for me to observe, to learn and never have learned, because it exceeds my capacity at this particular moment and ever.

You are a subject of my art, a portrait I paint of you.

A portrait I have painted of you is another matter. I put it on the market with a price tag on.

Price is a measure.

Measure is a price for being on the market.

A subject cannot be measured. An object can.

An object is dead. 
Art is dead.

Subjects possess unique autonomous consciousness and therefore cannot be measured.

Consciousness compares and judges.

To compare is to measure.

Measured subjects are objects.

I don’t like to be judged, but I like to measure.

One way to measure is to compete. I like winning but in case I lose, instead of competing with the others I want to look like them.

There are things on the market for sale priced according to my measure of looking successful, comparable, and compatible with the others like any object and, like any object, dead.

Time is a mystery that escapes despite being measured but we are compulsive measurers.

Art is a mystery unknowable, a subject with a price tag on.

There are other things like that but we hardly notice.

Mystery wants to be solved.

Mystery cannot be solved.

Art is dead.

What is art?

Duchamp didn’t say

As long as it may be unknown, art may be alive.




No comments:

Post a Comment